I did not only have a stroke 3 years ago, in 2007 I lost my dad to cancer and 6 weeks later to the day I lost my brother, his organs all failed he was a drinker and after my dad passed he unfortunately drunk to much.
When it came to 2009 I had been playing on the Wii boxing and when I went to bed that night I had a muscle pain under my arm, so with my left hand I felt my right breast and under my arm and there it was a lump in my right breast, it would really did not seem much so I did not bother scott till the next day when I told him that I had a lump and thought it was nothing, but he said make an appointment with doctor and see what he says.
So I made that appointment, I really thought it was nothing, it was so small and I was not sure if it was even there, I felt a bit of a nuisance really.
I went to the doctor, he
was not sure, so he sent me to the hospital at Epping to be tested, well I was examined had a Mammogram and
a scan an biopsy, unfortunately I did have breast cancer in my right breast, but having chemo would hopefully shrink it, not once did anyone mention I could loose my breast.
I wish they did have there consultations in a different place to where you see the cancer nurse, crying I and my partner came of the doctors office, not only to face the waiting area, we had to walk all the way to the end of the corridor to see the cancer nurse, it was awful.
We both felt so awful and scared about the whole situation.
I started chemo, I use to have to go every 3rd week and had a lot of problems with them be able to find a vein, so they put me down to have a line, which was done quickly from my neck area, with a long tube so they could attach the chemo drip, if n ever hurt a bit or the chemo.
I saw a doctor, which was a oncologist regularly or if I had any problems. This went on for a year, but I did have to go radio therapy as well when chemo was finished, I had to go all the way to near Enfield for that each week and to see my proper doctor, he was very nice, before I could have radio therapy, I had to have dot tattoos put on my chest for measurement, I had my friend Libby with me, we did laugh. After everything, I had to have another drug, which was given to breast cancer patients, cant remember name. When I first had it was fine, but the second time was awful, I was freezing and had flu like symptoms, so they put in before hand a antihistamine, which made all the difference.
All while this was happening I was married on the 12 June 09, it was the best day of my life, and the weather was so nice.
It was like a void in my life when every was finished, I had to have breast cancer drug for 18 weeks every 3 weeks, did not know what to do, so to keep me busy I got a few private jobs while waiting for my mastectomy, which was a huge shock to me, as I had an appointment at Epping hospital to see the consultant, and it was a routine appointment, well that's what I thought, so I went alone, to be told I would loose my right breast, I was in a terrible state and on my own, it was awful, having no one with me made it 100 times worse, I was in shock, as before there was no mention of me loosing my breast. All my friends and family was so supportive I did tell everyone that I wanted to be treated as normal and not wrapped up in cotton wool and decided to have all my hair shaved off, in stead of it coming out bit by bit I thought that would make me look very ill and I did not want that.
I chose to leave my head bald, no wig or scarf, as I wanted to be me and if I did wear something it would not be me, all my friends and family agreed with me and said my bald head was nice and suited me.
No comments:
Post a Comment